Friday, January 22, 2010

lecture class

After listening to the lecture “To be or not to be,” I realized that there was a time in the history of the world when people did not understand things I learned in a basic eighth grade health class. According to the brief history described in the lecture it has only been in the past two hundred or so years that scientist have been able to identify sperm and eggs. There was a time when people thought what? That conception was magical? Unexplainable? I just cannot imagine living in a world like that. Not because I think that people in the dark ages were idiots, or because I think that I am smarter than they are. Today I feel like a basic knowledge of human reproduction is not simply expected, but assumed.
Thinking about how years ago people did not know about what I would consider the basic human anatomy made me realize that in a few hundred years people could be reading our reports in awe on diabetes and wonder how a society could function without knowing the basics of how diabetes works. The idea that one day questions I have, or even more bizarre, things I just except as unexplainable can be answered through scientific discovery is remarkable to me.
I grew up on a dairy farm, and artificial insemination is the primary method used to help cows conceive. Artificial insemination is something that I understood from a very young age. Embarrassed, I admit before this lecture I had never thought to myself that some were in time someone had to discover how to develop a method of artificial insemination that was effective. It was actually really interesting to learn how something so common to me and something that I have worked with so many times came to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment