Tuesday, September 21, 2010

interview

I interviewed my friend Enos Ledezma. He is currently a in the advertising program at Brigham Young University. I believe that he was a good person for me to interview because his focus is advertisements for children, and families. While I am working as a teacher with children I will be aware of what media and advertisements have on children. I also thought that he would be a good person to interview because we are both interested in child development; his focus being child development through advertising, and mine in the cognitive development.

Joy: Hi, Enos. How are you doing?

Enos: I am good, and how about you Joy?

Joy: I am doing well.

Enos: Are you having a good day?

Joy: Yep

Enos: Were did you go today?

Joy: I had my child development class. I like that class. You like Children?

Enos: I love children! My favorites are my nieces and nephews. I have a lot of nieces and nephews.
Joy: I agree nieces and nephews are the best. They are so cute. Are all of your nieces and nephews little?

Enos: All of them are really young, and I love it because in their eyes I am like the perfect person. When they are getting to fussy I just hand them over to their Mom or Dad and say, “Here you go.”

Joy: Is all of your family here in the United States?

Enos: Most of them are. I went to one of my nieces birthday parties this weekend, and a lot of my family was there. I have lived in the US for a long time now. My English accent was better before I went on my mission, but what can you do?

Joy: I have never noticed your accent, so don’t worry about it.

Enos: Well thanks, but it is all about emersion.

Joy: what do you mean emersion?

Enos: You know that program that takes children who have emigrated to the United States out of the classroom and into that special class. Well it is no good. For starters it takes the child out of emersion which is how you learn a language any way, by speaking and hearing it. Then it makes the child feel like they are more of an out cast because they are not with their other friends.

Joy: I can see what you are say. Were you in the emersion program? Or did you have a special class when you first came to the US?

Enos: I was in the class, but I did this internship in High School in the elementary schools and well that was when I wanted to be a sycologist before I wanted to go into advertising. Any way there was this little girl in the class and she was in first grade reading at a fifth grade reading level, but she was reading in Spanish. The teacher had no idea what to do with her. So I just kept on talking to her in English and telling her to go and talk to her friends. By Christmas she was not only caught up with the class, but even ahead. It’s emersion! Just living and being forced to talk in that language helps.

Joy: If you like children so much what got you interested in advertising?

Enos: Well that is what got me interested in adverting? You see kids need to see good shows, and there are good things out there, but they just have really sucky advertising. I want to make people want to buy those good things. So that they have an actual choice: something good and wholesome or something not. That is what we need to give people is choices, and that is what advertising can do.

Joy: Wow! I have never thought of it that way. That is really true. Well, thanks for sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment