Saturday, July 16, 2011

Reg assignment #8

Religion C 261 – Sister Kelly Summers

Assignment #7 - Census Assignment
U.S, Canada & British Isles

1 - Search for one of your ancestors in every census during your ancestor’s lifetime. Begin with the most recent census and work back in time. Find census records for ancestor as a parent and move back in time and find census records for your ancestor as a child living with parents. Keep a research log, recording your searches and results. Show me “nil” results if you are unable to find your ancestor during one of the census years.

2 - Print out a digital copy of each census found. Label each printout with source information.

3 – Enter the census information into your RootsMagic program.
Instructions:
For an Individual “Add a fact”
Select “census”
Add the complete date and place
Under “Census Details” add a “Note”
In the “Note” transcribe the census and include source citation information.

Assignment Submission:
1 – Updated Family Group Sheet – with census note information printed
2 – Census Images with source citation information
3 – Research Log
4 – Written analysis of census findings

Sample Census Citations:
Source: 1850 U.S. Census – Liberty Township, Henry County, Indiana
Author: NARA Series M432 Roll 136
Publication: Subscription database: , accessed Oct 2007
Detail: Page 47, Dwelling 275, Family 283.

I looked for the 1890 Census records but shortly discovered that these records were destroyed by a warehouse fire. After that I began to search for the 1880 records I used the family search, but the only available census record was for a Carl Carlquist who was over twenty five years older than my ancestor. Even if he had lied about his age I doubt that he would have lied about a twenty five year difference when he was still in his early twenties. The 1880 census was taken in only a few areas of Utah, and I believe from what I discovered that Carl was not in that census. I did find, however, while I was searching his us passport application. It appears to be the passport Carl used for his mission, because I know that he arrived in the US the first time in 1877 to marry Hulda and the stamped date reads 12 March 1910. I know we were only supposed to print off Census records, but I could not resist and I printed off Carl’s passport as well.
Carl married Hulda in 1877 right after he moved to the United States. Before living in the United States he lived in Sweden. I wanted to find records of his life in Sweden. Come to find out Sweden did not do the census as the United States did, and I have to find the right Parish. I started to look through a few of the available records and realized that I need to read Swedish to understand what is being said, or have someone translate. It was a little frustrating to not find any primary record of Carl living in Sweden. I read through a few pages of his bibliography and learned that he refused to be baptized by the local Swedish clergy. I knew that his LDS Baptism was in Sweden and so I tried to find if there was a document from that.

Date Source Comments Results Time
16 July 2011 http://www.censusfinder.com/utah.htm I learned a lot about the actual census from here. This is the website that I was able to type in Carl’s name the search engine found all of the census records The 1890 census was burned in a fire, and not all of the places in Utah took a 1880 census 10 min.
16 July
2011 new.familysearch.org This is not the right family search website for the census records I did not find what I wanted 4 min.
16 July
2011 www.familysearch.org Looked through the countries and census search engine available Did not find census records of correct Carlquist, and searched through a few foreign records 20 min.
16 July
2011 Search.ancestry.com This is the website that the census finder took me to, and I printed off all of the papers I turned in from there 1930, 1920, 1910, and 1900 census and us passport application found here 20 min.
16 July 2011 https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Sweden Census were not done in Sweden but a (husförhörslängd)
I need to know what parish Carl was from and then I need to learn how to read Swedish because I cannot understand the records available 10 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment