Monday, March 7, 2011

REG More Parables and Teachings

In the reading I loved the parable about the poor man and the rich man who both went to heaven and received their reward. As the book points out the poor names name was Lazarus, and the rich man had no name. This was mind boggling to me because I realized that Jesus only teaches truth; His stories are true; His principles are true; His lessons are true; the characters are true. The parables that Jesus teaches with are not like fables or designs of the imagination. Instead parables are filled with true characters are real as Lazarus himself. If Lazarus was a real character in Jesus’ parable was the rich man also a real character, someone who Jesus knew and was aware of but simply did not disclose his name. There was a literal Lazarus, but was there a literal rich man? Thinking about the rich man as a real person with dreams, fears, and loves made me realize that I could literally be the rich man. The idea that the parable could literally be describing me, as literal as it is describing Lazarus, caused me to reevaluate what I value in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment