Thursday, June 30, 2011

assignment #5

Joy Marie Prior
Religion C 261 – Sister Kelly Summers

Assignment #5 – Previous Research – 40 pts

Search for one ancestor in all of the following places at FamilySearch.org and the other websites listed below:

FamilySearch.org
Family Trees
Library Catalog - surname search

Other websites:
Catalog.loc.gov - Library of Congress online catalog (keyword)
Books.google.com
HeritageQuest Online (Books & PERSI) - surname search
Ancestry.com - Ancestry World Tree
RootsWeb.com - World Connect Tree
Google search
Genforum.com - surname search
Family History Archive – BYU
USGenWeb.org
WOrldGenWeb.org

1 - Submit a Research Log showing your searches and results (including nil or no results).

2 - Submit an updated version of your RootMagic family group sheet showing any new information with sources.

3 - Submit a written summary of your findings.
There was more information than I expected. I guess that it was not more information, but different information. My favorite finding was about Carl Arvid Carlquist corispondent letters. I found this interesting on a few points. First I thought that it was so odd that someone would post such a finding on the internet, and second it was different to me because I had not idea that Carl Arvid Carlquist was interested in politics. As I thought about this I realized that although I have always considered my family research “done” I really don’t know much about my ancestors. I called my mom, and found out that one of my ancestors on my mother’s side wrote and invented the Encyclopedia of Chiropractic: The Howard System which is a chiropractic system published in National School of Chiropractic in Chicago, and is still studied today. As I learn more about family research I realize that genelogy is more than entering dates, but about finding people and building relationship. It is exciting.. in it’s own way!

No comments:

Post a Comment