Sunday, September 25, 2011

REG D&C 72; 78-80;82; 83

I have been thinking a lot about covenants lattly, because in the Reliefsociety broadcast the women said that we make many covenents. Not all of them are limited to the covevents in the temple. This has driven me to discover what covenents I have made. I would like... I am striving to prepair myself for the temple and to make the covenents there and marriage covenents. One of the best ways that I can do this is to honor the covenents that I have already made. Truthfully, I do not know what all of those covenents are.
The first one that I recognized was the covenants that I made at baptizum. I then listed off the covenants that the sister mentioned in her talk: morn with those that morn, comfort those who stand in need of comfort. While I was sitting in sacrament the talks were about the temple and the spirit of Elisha. One way that I can fullfill covenents taht I have already made is to visit the temple often and do baptizums for the dead. I can also do family indexing. Although, I have received many answers as to what a covenent is and how I can keep my covenents I feel like this idea of making and keeping covenents will be a life long lesson. The sections that I read tonight for Doctrine and Covenants helped me to realize how vital and divers the covenents I am and will make in life are.
One scripture that is continually playing in my mind now is that the Lord promises: when yea do what I say I am bound, but when yea do not what I say yea have no promise. This is the first time that i have read that scripture and realized that God is talking about covenents. He is talking about making a promise with divinity- the actual definition of a covenent. Then he clarifies there are unseperable promises associatied with keeping covenents. He also warns me that if I do not keep my covenets then he is not bound- those are the terms.
Another passage that touched my soul was about the law of conceration. There were several quotes from the Doctrine and Covenants manual that were about covenets and coveneting to love God, and his children. I have been thinking about these quotes, and I even highlighted several of them. It has made me wonder more about my own personal covenents. It has made me want to clarify with God what I promise to do. It was also a wake up call, becuase of how much truth and love he has given to me I am covenented to continue in faith. The warning that if I turn from the knowledge I know, and the covenents I have already made I am putting my eternal salvation in jepordy was powerfully humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment