Monday, January 25, 2010

dance

Dance 240R Section 002
Professor McAllister
Self review
January 25, 2010
Joy Prior
I am concentrating: on the part when I left the one leg up after we have done the leg bends and lift little series I am really concentrating and I can tell because my balance is a little better in that section than in other sections.
I point my toes: This is good because I can see that I am pointing my toes and that is helping to pull the strength from the motion down and out my legs. I can see that the sections that I am pointing and pulling my muscles forward with my toes really effects the rest of my body positioning.
There are times when I forget to not only pull up, but also to push down into the earth. Particularly on the section that we were turning. I can tell that if I not only tell my body to pull up on my toes, but I also tell my feet to press into the earth I that I will get better results with my turn and not have to hop so much. Also on the turn sequence I need to know which one I am doing. I was turning on the wrong one to turn, and standing on the wrong time. This leads to the idea that if I think about what is coming next before it actually has to happen I can prepare my body for the next move, and transition into the next step more gracefully.
I need to learn the dance steps: ok I understand that it is important to actually know the steps. I think that the best way to do this is to remember the muscle memory and not concentrate so much on the steps, but on what my body is doing and how it is working. This will help me to focus on other things such as arm placement, and pulling in my muscles
My arms are all over the place: I needed to keep the pulling force coming out of my arms as well as out of my legs. There are times when my arms drop, and fall. I can tell that they are tired. There are a few things that I can do to help this. First I can get stronger arms. By practicing and keeping my arms up they will get stronger and then I can keep them up more. Second I can drop them for a split second during the practice so that I get the best workout and not a lame one. Instead of trying to keep my arms in this pathetic limbo position where I don’t know if they are up or if they are down I can put my arms up high and strong for a few minutes, and then drop them and shake them out to prepare me for the next long stretch.
I need to not look at the mirror so often. I can tell while I am watching myself that I am trying to catch what I am doing in the mirror. A) my timing off just a little B) I can tell that my alignment is off and turned that way. This is a simple fix… don’t look at yourself in the mirror all the time. Pretty much problem solved by doing that one simple action.

No comments:

Post a Comment