Monday, January 25, 2010

Frozen Butterflies

When I was younger I wanted to capture a butterfly and put it in the freezer so when winter came I could take it out, warm it up in the microwave, and watch it fly. It seems ridicules now to believe the true beauty of a butterfly can be frozen and unfrozen, just as ridiculous as believing that knowledge can be frozen. For example when I read a passage about polluted water in Bolivia I can only look at the words frozen on the page and wonder how does polluted water affect the people? Why is the water polluted? Can we solve this problem? I don’t want frozen knowledge all of my life, but there are so many things in this world that sometimes I have to see frozen knowledge simply so I know were to go to find real knowledge. You ask me how being at Brigham Young University can help prepare me for my future. I wonder how it could not, because I am learning from listening to my professor’s perspectives and I am learning from reading textbooks about subjects I did not even know existed. Brigham Young University is like a giant butterfly museum. There are a few butterflies fluttering in the sky, most of them are on little pins in rows on giant tables, and others are hanging from the ceiling. I love learning from here, but the truth is that most of the butterflies here are the frozen kind. Why do I want to continue my education at Brigham Young University because I want to be able to leave this place with the ability to recognize knowledge when it can fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment